As you all know, traffic on Laurelwood Drive during the entry and dismissal times at St. Nicholas CES can be quite hectic. Our school community is working with the City of Waterloo, WRPS and the WCDSB Health and Safety department on a regular basis to try and alleviate some of the ongoing concerns for the safety our students. Unfortunately, this morning a cyclist was struck by a car at our entrance (closest to Laurelwood and Cedar Bend). Thankfully, all parties were able to walk away from the accident.
Attached to this message is an aerial photo of the school, our parking lot and the adjoining streets. We would ask that all families take a moment to review the drop off/pick up procedures we have in place as we attempt to reduce the chances of anyone being injured travelling to or from St. Nicholas. They are listed below for your reference:
- The school parking lot is for staff and daycare use ONLY. All parents are asked to park on one of the side streets across from the school (visible on the map) and have their child(ren) walk to the crossing guard adjacent to Holly View Place to cross Laurelwood Drive.
- The entrance (marked as A on the map) at the west end of Laurelwood Drive (closest to Cedar Bend Drive) is for school vehicles (buses, taxis, WCDSB fleet vehicles) and staff to access the parking lot on the west side of the school or directly in front of the school.
- The entrance (marked as A on the map) directly across from Holly View Place is for school vehicles (buses, taxis, WCDSB fleet vehicles) and daycare staff/clients. Upon entry, all vehicles MUST turn left, as traffic in front of the school is only one way (west to east).
- The exit (marked as B on the map) at the east end of Laurelwood Drive (closest to Brookmill Crescent) is only to be used as an EXIT.
- If you are using Cedar Bend Drive, Holly View Place or Brookmill Crescent as a drop off/pick up point for your child, please ensure that they ONLY cross Laurelwood Drive with the crossing guard on the crosswalk across from Holly View Place. Additionally, please respect our neighbours and avoid parking in front of their driveways. On Holly View Place obey parking signs as you may be ticketed.
- If you are using the townhouse complex immediately west of the school, please respect our neighbours and avoid parking in front of their driveways. Ensure that you are on the lookout for cyclists coming down the hill on Laurelwood Drive, from the west (from Laurelwood Drive and Erbsville Road).
- Note that the distance from Cedar Bend Drive and Brookmill Place to the cross walk is just over 100 metres in each direction.
We would like to thank you in advance for planning your day so that you allow plenty of time for your child to arrive at school safely and on time. Look for more information to be sent out about Active and Safe Routes to School (in partnership with the City of Waterloo) and Walking Wednesdays. It is our hope to reduce traffic flow significantly over the next 10 months to make the area surrounding St. Nicholas a safer and healthier (reduction of emissions) space for all of us.
If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch with the school.