March 13, 2020
As a result of the Government of Ontario’s order for all publicly funded schools in Ontario to remain closed from March 14, 2020 to April 5, 2020 (https://news.ontario.ca/opo/en/2020/03/title.html), the Waterloo Catholic District School Board is taking the following actions to further assist in limiting the spread of COVID-19:
- Effective March 14, 2020 to April 5, 2020 all WCDSB schools (including all St. Louis Adult Education campuses) are closed.
- Effective March 16 all Extended Day programs are cancelled. Families registered in WCDSB operated programs will not be charged fees during this time period.
- Effective March 14, 2020 to April 5, 2020 all Community Use of Schools permits are cancelled.
- WCDSB Co-op placements, Dual Credit and SWAC programs are cancelled.
- The March 23, 2020 public meeting of the Board of Trustees is cancelled. Any delegations pertaining to the St. John CES Boundary Review will be received as planned on Monday, April 6 at the regularly-scheduled Board Meeting, and again at a Special Public Board Meeting on Monday, April 20, 2020.
- The March 26, 2020 Blessing & Dedication ceremony for the newly-renovated Waterloo Region Catholic Education Centre is postponed to a later date to be determined
- Effective March 14, 2020 to April 5, 2020 Owl Daycare at St. Nicholas will be closed.
At St. Nicholas we are aware of a number of activities that have been planned for the two week period that classrooms are closed and others that are scheduled to occur after April 6. A list of some these items appears here:
- March 24 – Confession – Gr. 3 – 8 (to be determined)
- March 27 – Virtue Assembly (postponed)
- April 1 – Laurel Creek – Gr. 3 (cancelled)
- April 8 – FSL Trip at Humanities Theatre (to be determined)
- April 8 – Caribou Math
- April 9 – Caribou Math
- April 9 – Youth Symposium at Landmark Cinemas (cancelled)
- April 20 – Gr. 6 Retreat at Resurrection (cancelled).
We will be updating families on the status of these activities as soon as we have more information. We would ask that you monitor our Newswire account, along with our Twitter (@stnkspirit) and Instagram (@stnicholasspirit) accounts following the March Break, as we will post updates there.
If teaching staff need to inform students and families about a scheduled activity, they will make contact via D2L.
The safety and well-being of our students and staff is always our top priority, and we will continue working with local Public Health staff to ensure our schools remain clean, safe and welcoming in anticipation of the resumption of school in April. We encourage everyone to remain vigilant regarding hand hygiene and cough / sneeze etiquette and to follow all Public Health guidance and directives.
We ask all WCDSB stakeholders to continue monitoring our special COVID-19 web page for up-to-date information (https://www.wcdsb.ca/covid-19-coronavirus-updates/) — and our prayers continue for all those around the world who have been or will be affected by COVID-19.